Overseas estate or assets need releasing

When a family member or friend dies they may have part or all of their estate in a country outside of the UK. It may be the case that an overseas property has become part of the estate. This can cause some complications and delays when trying to resolve matters. The following documents may therefore be required by overseas government organisations and foreign solicitors-

Power of Attorney – providing power for someone to act on your behalf
Proof of identity documents – this list may help
Death certificate
Last will and testimony possibly court stamped
Probate given to a person or persons to administer a deceased person’s estate

It must be stressed that this list is not exhaustive and that you should contact the country that you are travelling to for clarification of the documents required. This selection of documents is supplied for information only and is should not be taken as advice.